Skip to content
Back to Insurance
Back to Holidays
Back to Saga Money
Back to Saga Magazine
A woman at home doing some admin


Feel happier at home protected by home insurance for people over 50.

Protect your home with 3-year fixed price Saga Home Insurance

When you’ve spent time and care making a house a home, you want to be sure it’s protected from anything that could go wrong. Getting the right level of home insurance is important to keep your home and belongings safe against the unexpected happening.

Already a customer?

Log in or create a MySaga account to make changes, view your policy documents or renew your policy. Fast and easy, no need to call.

New to Saga?

Start your journey with us, get a quote or pick up where you left off. Online or over the phone, we look forward to welcoming you.

What does home insurance cover?

Home insurance cover can vary, depending on what you need and the type of property you're looking to protect. Generally, you can take cover to insure your buildings, contents or or a combination of both under one policy.

Saga offers two levels of cover, Saga Plus and Saga Select, both 5 Star rated by Defaqto and each with the same great level of service.

Compare home insurance from Saga

Use the home insurance comparison chart below to compare our two policies and decide which one best suits your needs.

Cover and benefits Saga Select Saga Plus
3-year fixed price
You can expect to pay the same price for 3 years if there are no changes, even after most types of claim. (T&Cs apply)
Up to £1 million cover for buildings and up to £100,000 for contents.
Accidental damage cover in the home
For example if you stain your sofa or leave a hot pan on a worktop.


Personal belongings cover
For items away from home like mobile phones and tablets (up to £10,000 per event with a single item limit of £2,500).


New for old replacement
No need to add single items worth less than £2,500
(Like jewellery and paintings kept at home) to the policy
Extended cover
For when your home is unoccupied for up to 60 days in a row, such as if you go on a long holiday.

Trace and access

Trace, access and repair of leaking water or oil pipes causing damage to the property (buildings cover only).

Up to £5,000

Up to sum insured

Replacement of matching pairs or sets of items
Like earrings or three-piece suites (if we can’t repair or replace individual items to match)

Who are Saga's home insurance policies underwritten by?

Saga Home Insurance policies, exclusively for people over 50, are unique products designed specifically for our customers. They are underwritten by a number of carefully selected insurers that provide our high standards of quality and service.

Saga Plus Home Insurance cover at a glance

Three year fixed price home insurance with added extras

A 3-year fixed price

​So your price won't go up for three years. You can make changes to your policy whenever you need to (although this could affect your premium), and you don't have to renew if you don't want to. (T&Cs apply).

Matching sets cover

If something that’s part of a set gets broken (like your bathroom sink for example), if we can’t repair or replace it to match, we’ll replace the whole set.

Personal belongings cover

Protect precious items when you’re away from home – anywhere in the world.

Garden cover

Up to £5,000 to cover garden contents, including lawn furniture, children's play equipment, flowers and shrubs.

Accidental damage

For any mishaps at home, like sitting on your glasses or staining the carpet.

No cancellation fee

If you cancel during the year we won't charge you a cancellation fee.

Claims promise

Most types of claim won't affect your fixed price.

Student cover

Protects the belongings your child takes with them to their term-time residence.

Get a quote
Smiling retired senior male using smart phone while sitting with dog in room at home

Saga Select – Our no-nonsense cover

Whilst it doesn’t come with our 3-year fixed price or the full range of features available on Saga Plus, it is still 5-Star Defaqto rated and you can still choose to include accidental damage and cover for personal belongings away from home if you need them.

Get a quote
Elegant senior woman relaxing on couch, reading a book

Saga TailorMade Home Insurance

If you need higher cover limits (more than £100,000 for your contents or £1 million for your buildings insurance), have a look at Saga TailorMade Home Insurance. Our policy specifically designed for higher-value homes like yours.

Find out more

What can we help with?

What is home insurance?

Home insurance, or house insurance, protects your home and belongings against damage, theft and loss so you have the cover you need if you have to repair or rebuild your home or replace its contents.

What type of home insurance do you need?

Home insurance is made up of two main types of insurance:

  • Buildings insurance – protection for the physical structure of your home, like the roof and walls, and permanent fixtures and fittings, like doors and windows and built-in appliances like dishwashers. It covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home.
  • Contents insurance – protection for your personal possessions, like your TV or wristwatch, as well as your furniture and carpets. It covers against loss, theft or damage, usually in your home with the option to cover items when you’re out and about too.

You can buy separate policies for each of these, or you can buy a combined buildings and contents policy.

What doesn’t home insurance cover?

The level of cover you get will depend on the home insurance policy you choose, so you should always read your policy documentation carefully. However, there are a few things that are generally excluded.

These include:

  • Loss or damage caused by wear and tear or things that happen gradually over time
  • Issues arising from faulty workmanship, design or using faulty materials
  • Intentional damage caused by you or anyone lawfully in your home
  • Mechanical or electrical breakdowns

What factors affect your home insurance premiums?

Home insurance premiums are calculated using factors that are specific to you and your area, as well as general trends in the UK.

Factors that are specific to you and your area include:

  • Where you live – public information about your post code is used to rate your address and give you a price. We look at previous average claim costs and what future claims we might expect in your area.
  • What you live in –your price will be affected by the type of property you are looking to insure. We look at factors such as number of bedrooms, age, build materials, and who lives there with you.
  • Your claims history – we look at any claims over the last 5 years.

Factors outside our control include:

  • The cost of our claims – insurance companies must meet the full cost of any valid home insurance claims, including the labour costs and parts and materials. That means that any economic changes, like the cost of building materials increasing, means the cost of paying claims does too. This can result in higher premiums.
  • Severe weather – if there is an increase in the number of storm or flood claims due to bad weather, this can result in higher premiums.
  • Fraud – fraudulent insurance claims cost insurance companies money and so may add to the cost of everyone’s insurance.
  • Taxes – including extra costs such as Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) means you may see a higher premium, or if these costs reduce, a lower one.

Why do you need home insurance?

Home insurance provides peace of mind by shielding you from costs you would otherwise have to pay when there is a sudden and unexpected event or accident. It isn’t a legal requirement to have home insurance in the UK, but if your property has a mortgage against it then the mortgage provider will usually require you to have buildings insurance.

If you own your home outright, it’s still a good idea to have house insurance in place to guard against unexpected costs. And if you’re buying a new home you should have cover in place when you exchange contracts.

The benefits of home insurance mean that you will be covered for what can be very high costs if your home is damaged or its contents stolen.

Find out more about over 60s, over 70s and over 80s home insurance.

What details do I need to get a home insurance quote?

At Saga we keep our quote process as simple as possible and we can give you an online quote in just a few minutes.

Before you start, you’ll need to have the following information:

  • Address – Your full address, postcode and details of the property you want to insure, including roughly when it was built (we don't need the exact year unless it was built before 1850) and number of bedrooms
  • Subsidence or flooding – Any history of subsidence or flooding at the property, including what year it most recently occurred
  • Start date – When you want the cover to start
  • Claims – Details of any claims made in the last 5 years by anyone living at the property, including the date and total cost of each one
  • Cover – An idea of how much cover you require for the building, contents, and personal belongings

Once you’ve completed the form you’ll see quotes for our two levels of cover, Saga Plus and Saga Select, with all the features we offer so that you can make the best choice for the home insurance coverage you need.

Defaqto 5 star rated home insurance 2014-2024

Defaqto 5 Star rated home insurance

We are proud to offer five-star treatment every day with Saga Home Insurance – Defaqto 5 Star rated every year since 2014.

Home insurance FAQs

Find answers to some our most commonly asked questions

Are my belongings only protected inside the home?

We know that loss, damage or theft of your possessions can happen at any time, which is why our Personal Belongings Cover protects your personal possessions anywhere in the world.

You can choose to add cover up to £2,500, £5,000 or £10,000 per incident. Whether it’s an iPad left on a train, dropping your mobile phone on the floor or having your camera stolen on holiday, you can claim for a replacement.

Personal Belongings Cover is included as standard in our Saga Plus cover level but can be added to your Saga Select policy at any time by calling 0800 056 9102.

Can I get insurance if my home is undergoing building work?

Our home insurance might be able to cover you if you have significant building works planned like an extension or loft conversion, but you'll need to tell us in advance and there will be additional terms applied. Smaller projects involving plumbing or electrical work also need to be mentioned to us in advance. You don't need to tell us about routine work, like painting and decorating or general maintenance, unless scaffolding is required.

Saga Plus and Saga Select policies do not cover you for accidental damage due to demolition, structural alterations or structural repairs to your home, or due to faulty design or workmanship or using faulty materials.

Can you cover higher value properties and contents?

If you’re looking beyond our standard home insurance and need cover for over £1 million buildings or over £100,000 contents, our Saga TailorMade Home Insurance can provide higher levels of cover as well as many great features and benefits, such as worldwide cover for your valuables and accidental damage as standard. We'll need details of any valuables worth over £5,000 each, or over £15,000 for paintings.

Please see Saga TailorMade Home Insurance for more information and to get a quote. You can also call our specialist TailorMade team on 0800 096 3251.

Does home insurance cover roof leaks?

A roof can be damaged by old age, poor maintenance, or storm damage, so whether your home insurance covers damage from leaks really depends on what caused the damage and what’s in your policy documentation. If a leak is caused by sudden damage from a storm or a fallen tree, then you’re likely to be covered. But if the damage is a result of wear and tear or old age, you will not be covered.

If the damage to your roof is found to be caused by wear and tear, your insurance will not cover the repair of the roof, however, if you have selected accidental damage cover (included as standard in our Saga Plus cover level), then any subsequent internal water damage may be covered.

Saga Plus and Saga Select policies cover loss or damage caused by falling trees, branches, lampposts, telegraph poles, electricity pylons, poles or overhead cables, when they are a direct cause of a roof leak, to the insured amount.

What home insurance do I need if I'm renting?

Our contents insurance is designed to offer cover for your personal possessions and any damage you are liable for as a tenant. For more information, please see our renters insurance page.

If you are renting your property, it’s normally the responsibility of your landlord to purchase buildings insurance, which covers the structure of your home and outbuildings, as well as things like built-in appliances and bathroom fixtures.