Skip to content
Back to Insurance
Back to Holidays
Back to Saga Money
Back to Saga Magazine
Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland at sunset


Planning a holiday a little closer to home this year? Make sure you have the cover you need with Saga.

UK travel insurance

You may have decided to stay within the UK for your holiday, but do you have the right cover in place for your trip?

Knowing you won’t have to foot the bill for medical emergencies could be enough to give you peace of mind, so you may be thinking…

Do I need travel insurance for a UK holiday?

Travel insurance does much more than just cover the cost of any unexpected medical bills. There are a number of reasons to make sure you have cover in place for your staycation, just as you would if you were holidaying abroad.

Take holiday cancellation cover, for example. It’s important to ensure you have cover in case you fall ill before your holiday and cannot travel. You may also want to make sure you’re covered for additional travel costs if you are forced to cut short your trip, as well as lost luggage and cover to get you back home.

What cover will I get with Saga Travel Insurance?

Our travel insurance offers the following cover for holidays in the UK as standard:

Policy feature Cover benefits for UK holidays
Holiday cancellation
Up to £10,000 to help recover any pre-paid travel or accommodation costs, if you have to cancel your holiday due to bereavement, illness or other unforeseen events

Abandoning your trip

Up to £10,000 for any unused travel or accommodation costs that can’t be recovered if you have to cut short your trip

Missed departure

We will cover you for extra costs you have to pay to reach your destination if you miss your departure up to £1,000, this includes internal UK flights

Baggage and personal belongings
Up to £5,000 cover should your belongings be lost, stolen or damaged
Medical cover for illness or injury
If you are taken ill or are injured on your trip and cannot return home at your scheduled time or using your return ticket, we will pay up to £2 million* for the cost of getting you back safely
Minimum trip duration
UK Trips must include at least one night in pre-booked holiday accommodation or a one-night stay at the accommodation of a relative or friend who resides in the Channel Islands.
Regions covered
We include the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man in our definition of a UK holiday.

Is there any cover related to coronavirus?

We include cover for cancellation or abandonment if you, or anyone you’re travelling with, test positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of your trip’s start date, or if you are certified as too ill to travel due to COVID-19 by a medical practitioner.

We can also cover the cost to get you home if you fall ill with COVID-19 while on your trip (emergency medical expenses and repatriation cover up to £2 million for UK trips). However, any other claims relating to coronavirus (COVID-19) are not covered.

If you want to find out more, our Travel insurance and coronavirus page has all the latest information.

Can I claim if I have to cancel my UK holiday?

Yes, if something happens out of the blue that means you can’t travel then you can claim back any travel or accommodation costs that you have already paid.

Our flexible cancellation cover gives you the option to lower the amount you’re covered for; if £10,000 is too much, you can change it to £5,000 or £7,500 instead so it’s better tailored to your trip. This may reduce the cost of your cover too.

What counts as pre-booked accommodation?

Any accommodation where you will be charged a fee to stay overnight, which has been booked in advance of your trip. So not just hotels, this extends to camping or static caravan sites, cottages, house boats, Airbnbs etc…

This excludes any residential homes belonging to your friends or family.

Do I need to be covered for domestic internal flights?

To give you extra peace of mind, our travel insurance covers domestic internal flights, for missed or delayed departure, as standard.

What does Saga mean by the UK?

For travel insurance, we define the UK as: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man.

Who underwrites Saga Travel Insurance?

Saga Travel Insurance is designed for people over 50 and is underwritten by Astrenska Insurance Limited, with claims administered on their behalf by Collinson Insurance Services Limited.

Get a quote for Saga Travel Insurance