Skip to content
Back to Insurance
Back to Holidays
Back to Saga Money
Back to Saga Magazine
Mature couple taking photos as tourists in the city of Verona


Find answers to the questions we're most often asked about travel insurance.

Frequently asked questions

Insurance can be complicated – that’s why we’ve created a list of questions that are commonly asked about Saga Travel Insurance.

Buying a policy
Am I covered if I travel against FCDO advice?

If you travel to a country where the FCDO has advised against all but essential travel, for a non-essential reason, you'll have no cover in place for any policy section if the reason for your claim is related to why the FCDO advice is in place. Subject to there being no other Government restrictions in place prohibiting travel. If you travel for essential reasons, see this list of what is deemed essential, then you will have full policy coverage in place.

However, if you travel to a country to which the FCDO advise against all travel then we are not able to provide any cover.

Do I need travel insurance in European Union Countries?

Yes, the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) is not a substitute for travel insurance – it is complementary to it. A GHIC does not cover you for all the medical costs that you can incur or for repatriation, lost baggage or cancellations.

How can I cancel my policy?

You can cancel your policy within 14 days of either the date of purchase of the policy or the date of receiving your policy documents, whichever is latest.

  • If your cover (including cancellation cover) has not commenced, you will be entitled to a full refund
  • If your cover (including cancellation cover) has commenced we will give you a pro rata refund of premium based on the cover you have already had
  • If you wish to make a claim or have made a claim already, no refund of premium will be given
  • If you cancel your policy after the 14 day cooling off period, no refund of premium will be given.
Is Saga part of the Money Advice Service travel insurance directory?

Yes, Saga is listed on the Money Advice Service Travel Adviser Directory as a company that may be able to help if you have a serious medical condition. You can find out more about this service and view the full directory by visiting the Travel Adviser Directory.

Should I choose an annual or single trip policy?

If you are likely to be taking more than one trip a year or you are travelling for more than 30 consecutive days then you may find that our annual multi-trip travel insurance policy is more cost effective than taking out a separate single trip policy each time you travel.

The advantage of annual multi-trip insurance is that cancellation cover is already in place should you want to go on a last minute holiday or city break.

If you only take the occasional trip, whether in the UK or overseas, you may find a single trip policy more suitable. Our single trip travel insurance is for trips up to 120 days in length and covers cancellations, medical expenses and much more.

When should I start my insurance policy?

With a Saga Travel Insurance policy, cancellation cover starts from the date you take out the policy or book the trip. In the unfortunate event that you have to cancel your holiday, our policy can offer up to £10,000 cancellation cover. Maintaining continuous cover with an annual policy could give you the freedom to book last minute trips.

Why do I have to provide my medical details to get a quotation?

At Saga we offer comprehensive cover to suit your needs when travelling. To enable us to do this we require details of your medical health so that we can assess whether we can offer insurance to suit your needs.

Eligibility and cover
How do I contact Saga?

If you're a Saga Travel Insurance policyholder and you need to make changes to your policy, you can contact us on 0800 056 9200.

Opening hours
  • Monday to Friday: 8:30am-6:00pm
  • Saturday: 8:30am-5:00pm
  • Sunday: CLOSED

If you need to get in touch with us for any other reason, please visit our contact us page.

Am I covered for leisure activities and sports?

Our policy covers over 40 different activities as standard. See our leisure and winter sports activities for a list.

Are there any age limits?

Policyholders must be aged 50 or over. There is no upper age limit and other travellers added to your policy can be of any age.

Can I change the policy excess?

Saga Travel Insurance customers can select from 3 levels of excess to pay in the event of a claim:

  • £70
  • £150
  • £250

Please see our table of cover for details of when an excess is applicable.

Can I extend my Annual policy for trips over 45 days?

We are able to extend up to 90 days if you are travelling anywhere outside the USA, Canada, Mexico or any Caribbean Islands. If travelling to these countries the maximum duration is 45 days or alternatively 120 days under a single trip policy.

Can I remove money and baggage cover to reduce my premium?

No, our policy covers money and baggage as standard within the overall price of the policy.

Do I have to book my holiday through Saga?

No, we can offer cover no matter who you book your holiday with.

Do you cover one-way trips?

No, Saga only covers round trips that start in and return to the United Kingdom.

I live outside the UK, can I get travel insurance from Saga?

Unfortunately we would not be able to provide you with cover - our policies only cover UK residents.

Will friends and family be covered when travelling without me?

Yes, if they are listed on an annual multi-trip policy they can travel independently and still benefit from the same cover as you. This does not apply to single trip policies.

Is it illegal to travel without travel insurance?

Taking out travel insurance before you go abroad is not a legal requirement, although some tour operators may insist that you have evidence of a valid travel insurance policy. However, it does protect you against medical treatment costs which are much higher than we pay in the UK, as well as providing cancellation cover, and other benefits. Not to mention the peace of mind knowing you are covered against the unexpected whilst abroad.

What is Saga Travel Assistance?

Saga Travel Assistance is a helpline service that helps you sort out all kinds of travel problems before you go and while you are away, from information on the country you are visiting to advice and guidance on how to replace lost or stolen passports, luggage and travel documents.

Will my travel agent accept a Saga Travel Insurance policy?

Yes, it is not compulsory to take out the insurance offered by travel agents or tour operators and you have the right to shop elsewhere if you so wish. However, they may ask you to prove that you have sufficient cover for the trip in question by asking for your policy number and cover details.