Skip to content
Back to Insurance
Back to Holidays
Back to Saga Money
Back to Saga Magazine
Two ladies enjoying the evening sunshine sat in their holiday home garden


Keep your home away from home protected year-round

Insure your holiday home for peace of mind that it’s protected, even when you’re not there

If you have a second home, then you’ll want to make sure it’s protected against the unexpected, just as your main residence is. It’s subject to all the same risks after all, and perhaps even more if it’s often unoccupied or rented out to strangers.

Keep your home away from home protected whether it’s occupied or unoccupied, rented out or not, with holiday home insurance.

What is classed as a holiday home?

A holiday home is a property that you own that isn’t your main residence. You might use it for much-needed getaways throughout the year, rent it out to friends and family when you’re not using it or even let it out to paying guests.

How does insuring a holiday home work?

Depending on how often you use your holiday home, you might be able to take out regular home insurance for it. But many home insurance policies won’t cover properties that are unoccupied for more than 30 days.

With Saga, if your holiday home is never left unoccupied for more than 60 days in a row, then we can cover you with our Saga Select home insurance. If it’s only used by family and friends then we can add Home Emergency cover, legal expenses insurance and specified personal belongings cover too.

Please note: if the property is let out to paying guests, we’ll need to let the underwriters know.

If your holiday home is left unoccupied for more than 60 days in a row, then we may still be able to cover you, but the cover might be more limited and the premiums higher. That’s because an empty property is more at risk of burglary and damage. If there’s a leak, for example, you might not notice it until it’s already caused significant damage.

Do you need holiday home insurance?

No, you’re not legally required to take out holiday home insurance cover. But if you have a mortgage, there’s a high chance that your lender will make buildings insurance compulsory. It’s up to you what level of additional insurance you take out, but it’s a good idea to get contents insurance to cover your furniture and possessions in case they’re damaged, stolen or lost.

What’s covered by holiday home insurance?

Insurance for holiday homes is typically split into buildings insurance and contents insurance:

  • Buildings insurance – protects the structure of your holiday home against damage caused by events such as fires, floods and storms. It also protects permanent fixtures and fittings like baths, toilets and fitted kitchens.
  • Contents insurance – protects household goods, furniture, gadgets and valuables that you keep in your holiday home.

Specialist holiday home insurance might also include accidental damage, loss of income and public liability insurance.

What isn’t covered by holiday home insurance?

This depends on your policy. 

  • Some regular home insurance policies won’t protect your holiday home against accidental damage or legal expenses, nor provide cover if the property is left unoccupied for too long.
  • Meanwhile, some specialist holiday home insurers won’t cover properties that are let for hen and stag parties, are rented out long term, or have more than a certain number of bedrooms.

It’s important to read the terms and conditions of insurance policies before you make your decision.

Can I get holiday home insurance if my second home is abroad?

Yes. At Saga, we don’t offer holiday home insurance for properties overseas, but you’ll be able to find it elsewhere. If you choose to insure your overseas home with a local provider and aren’t fluent in the language, make sure you choose a provider that offers policy documents in English, as it’s very important that you know exactly what’s covered and what’s not.

What if I rent out my holiday home?

You can use Saga Select home insurance, but you won’t be able to add on any extras like Home Emergency cover and legal expenses insurance.

When used to insure a short-term holiday let, our policy is unable to provide certain types of cover, such as accidental damage, business liability, or loss of income.

Before letting out your holiday home on a short-term basis, please contact us as we may require some additional information.

How long can I leave my holiday home empty for?

This varies between providers and policies. With Saga home insurance, you can leave your property empty for up to 60 days without informing us.

Who are Saga's home insurance policies underwritten by?

Saga Home Insurance policies, exclusively for people over 50, are unique products designed specifically for our customers. They are underwritten by a number of carefully selected insurers that provide our high standards of quality and service.

Get a quote for Saga Holiday Home insurance today